New season preparation

Discuss anything hurling-related here. Ask for help, discuss design concepts, show off your work, it all goes here!

New season preparation

Postby Thomas » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Our little event here in SoCal is scheduled for November 1st, just like the Tucson one, so there's no chance that I'd contest both even if I got spousal permission for Tucson, which is pretty iffy.

Anyhow, I'm dealing with the deficiencies that cropped up last year that made us waste too many throws trying to get on the 300 foot target. Apparently the reconfiguring of the arm and CW hanger messed up the propping so we were missing the very-quick start that we had in 2012. I was counting on the "magic" in the new arm to let me use less CW and that didn't happen, either, so we sort of struck out.

This year we're fixing the propping and restoring the CW. Hopefully that will put us over the max distance, since it's easier to dial back distance than add to it.

DSC00788 small.JPG
DSC00788 small.JPG (361.42 KiB) Viewed 9283 times
Thomas

Re: New season preparation

Postby Thomas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:07 am

Been fooling around, not yet testing, but working on an idea that's been buzzing around my head for a couple of years, to wit a simple system for propping the counterweight. Propping is a big part of the mutant HCW I call the Lobbit system, and last year's failure to perform up to expectations can be traced to not enough of it. The result of my thinking is a new CW hanger with tabs projecting from one side. A pipe nipple though the tabs contacts the arm as it's cocked and levers the CW outward, increasing the force on the arm, and giving a quicker start.

Hope it works as planned. But if it doesn't, I can add more weight. I refuse to show up underpowered this uear.

DSC00791.JPG
DSC00791.JPG (278.27 KiB) Viewed 9276 times
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:14 pm

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans and Spam.

Matt, can this person be banned?
Thomas

Postby madmattd » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:01 pm

Thomas wrote:Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans and Spam.

Matt, can this person be banned?

Yep, on it. No doubt now they are a spammer. Posts from Russia too...seems to be where a lot of spammers originate. Sorry about the mess folks.
madmattd

Return to Catapult Message Board