3 questions

Discuss anything hurling-related here. Ask for help, discuss design concepts, show off your work, it all goes here!

3 questions

Postby KerikM » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:43 pm

1st, did everyone die or something? In short, where'd everybody go?
2nd, does anyone have anything interesting planned for Snohomish and/or Burlington?
3rd, how does one find the best auction house or other specialist for [after my death] finding new homes for well-crafted miniature trebs? A maker friend suggests that people will take better care of something if they had to spend some money on it. My trebs are of pretty good quality if I do say so and one is the first of its kind. I expect them to last long after I'm out of here, and want them to go to a good home[s]. I don't expect to die real soon but it's a good idea to make a will and this has been the impasse. Ideas?
KerikM
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:43 am

Re: 3 questions

Postby madmattd » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:24 am

1 - well, it never was all that busy here, but yes it has definitely been quiet of late. I check in most days (though I've been gone the last few hence the latish reply), but haven't been working on trebs much lately. I have been working on a project to figure out how much force we're putting on our pumpkins though with NASAW. All in the on-going quest to stop pieing!

2 - I'm no help there, wrong coast, haha.

3 - One idea might be to talk to some local schools. If there is a teacher there in the math/physics department that gets into it, they might be interested in using them as a teaching instrument for their classes. I know my old high school recently had a "mini-course" where the students learned about, designed, and built trebuchets and catapults, and it always helps to have something to inspire oneself when designing. Just a thought. I don't know how the market is for pre-built trebs/cats, but I guess there must be some interest since there are a few kits selling out there.
User avatar
madmattd
 
Posts: 125
Images: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:02 pm

Re: 3 questions

Postby KerikM » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Thanks. A dear friend has expressed interest in the treb family, with the prospect of their next going to an engineering school on the event of his own demise; of course I hope both he and I are around for a good while longer.
The local high school physics classroom is awash with crude trebs made and abandoned by students. I sense that mine would be neither welcome nor well cared for there.
Good luck with the magnificent NASAW. Maybe you could devise a roundish object of same weight as a pumpkin but with accelerometers and so on inside? I hope there is a national event this fall.
KerikM
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:43 am

Re: 3 questions

Postby madmattd » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:17 pm

KerikM wrote: Maybe you could devise a roundish object of same weight as a pumpkin but with accelerometers and so on inside?

Image

KerikM wrote:I hope there is a national event this fall.

There is still planned to be one at Dover Speedway. Unfortunately, due to the ludicrously small field of play (realistically 2500' max shots possible before leaving the field of play...), it is looking like it may end up being a target shoot for the big machines. Which just isn't the same. Heck, I'm not sure NASAW can shoot under ~1700'!
User avatar
madmattd
 
Posts: 125
Images: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:02 pm

Re: 3 questions

Postby BobP » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:21 pm

KerikM wrote:1st, did everyone die or something? In short, where'd everybody go?

In my case, on vacation. Just got back.
KerikM wrote:2nd, does anyone have anything interesting planned for Snohomish and/or Burlington?

I'll be there, but have not even started working on my machine(s) yet! You are, as always invited to join me. If I'm lucky, I may add some power to the rather lame onager.
KerikM wrote:3rd, how does one find the best auction house or other specialist for [after my death] finding new homes for well-crafted miniature trebs? A maker friend suggests that people will take better care of something if they had to spend some money on it. My trebs are of pretty good quality if I do say so and one is the first of its kind. I expect them to last long after I'm out of here, and want them to go to a good home[s]. I don't expect to die real soon but it's a good idea to make a will and this has been the impasse. Ideas?

I'm afraid I have no idea. That's an awfully specialized market.
BobP
 
Posts: 43
Images: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:48 am


Return to Catapult Message Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron