2014 Plan B

Discuss any hurling events here, such as the World Championships of Punkin' Chunkin' (WCPC). Have an event in your area you want us to know about? Post it here!

2014 Plan B

Postby longshot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Good day folks,

Great forum Matt - Nice job!

As you all know - There are only 180 days left till the chunk! There is a WCPCA meeting Saturday - hopefully, some good, solid,legit info will emerge from said meeting! Right now there is no location locked in. Does anyone know of a Plan B? Besides Morton Il? Are there any other places where events are currently held that can handle longshots....? Any other places that can handle the crowds? It maybe a good idea to personally check out some other options...? 180 days will go quick.

-Longshot
"Growin' em cheap and sendin' em deep!"
longshot

Re: 2014 Plan B

Postby madmattd » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Welcome Longshot! (I feel like I probably know you, care to tell?)

I do not know of a real plan B right now. If the WCPCA can't find a suitable site (which hopefully they will, but sure there is a chance they won't), there won't be a chunk this year (obviously). I am not aware of an existing event that can handle the big machines. If you take the air cannons out of the picture, it helps some, but not a ton as cats, trebs, and torsion are all in the 1/2-mile to 3K range nowadays (and torsion well in excess of that mark now). Perhaps Morton has the space, I've never looked into it but maybe we should, it's a fair bit further for us, and most other teams, but some would likely make the trek if that was all there was. There is a chunk in Texas developing for this year (I think it is this year at least, I know the details are still being ironed out, and it's really far for most of the teams), I'm sure it would have the room (everything's bigger in Texas!)

My crew has talked about a Western NY event off and on the last couple of years. There used to be a chunk down near Jamestown, but that ended over 10 years ago. There's plenty of large farmland for a mid-sized event, but I don't think we could realistically get anything going for this year outside of a small invitation-only "demo event" if you will.

Anyone else have some thoughts?
madmattd

Return to Hurling Events