2014 WCPC - New Location

Discuss any hurling events here, such as the World Championships of Punkin' Chunkin' (WCPC). Have an event in your area you want us to know about? Post it here!

2014 WCPC - New Location

Postby madmattd » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:53 pm

As many are aware by now, the chunk this year could no longer be held at the field it has been on since 2007. The Wheatleys (the landowners) had to close their doors to the event as they are currently being sued (along with the WCPCA) for an accident on the field a couple of years ago. I'm sure that they didn't want to close their doors, but they need to take care of themselves and their family first and foremost, and their action is very understandable especially considering that Delaware State Law does not limit liability (which would allow for a target level of insurance to be purchased for the event). But it means a search for a new field had to begin. That's the only field I have ever know for the chunk as 2007 was my first year heading down there, but it was a fairly good field for the event. Road access and spectator parking, however, was not good.

It is looking like the event will be held on the grounds of the Dover International Speedway this year, keeping the event in Delaware and 45 minutes closer for those of us coming from the North (and probably a tad longer for those coming from the South such as the Carolina contingent). The new location has to be approved by the board and it sounds like a vote by the captains, but I would be rather surprised if it does not pass, as there is no alternate in place. So, be prepared to head to Dover now for the World Championships of Punkin Chunkin! I imagine parking and road access to the chunk will be much improved from that of recent years, as Dover International Speedway is used to hosting 2 NASCAR races a year along with other large events.

Camping, field arrangement, and other such details have not been provided yet. These are hopefully forthcoming. So far nothing has been said about changing the dates back to the traditional dates of the first full weekend in November, so we are still looking at October 24-26.

I will post more details when they are made available (unless someone beats me to it:) )
madmattd

Re: 2014 WCPC - New Location

Postby madmattd » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:39 pm

I guess I never posted an update to this. Oops. Those interested probably already know anyway.

The 2014 World Championships of Punkin Chunkin will be held from October 24-26, 2014 at a field neighboring the Dover International Speedway in Dover, DE.

The new field is nowhere near as large at the one we've used from 2007-2013, and shots on the "main" field in excess of 3000 or so feet will be lost in trees. Therefore, all teams expecting to exceed that distance (so most of the air cannons, Chucky III and perhaps a couple of the other torsion machines) will have to fire on the Wednesday and Thursday morning (October 22-23) before the event as the longer shooting option requires setting up on a different field that cannot be used during the weekend. Those machines will have to contend with a treeline near 3000 feet. On Thursday after the 3 competition shots are over, those long shooters will then move over to the main field and some may shoot at targets during the main chunk, while others will be static displays only.

3 weeks to go!
madmattd

Postby madmattd » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:01 pm

It figures the day after I post this, more news comes out.

The 2014 WCPC is cancelled. Some more information can be found in this newspaper article (nope, I don't have any more information that hasn't been sent to the news media...).

http://capegazette.villagesoup.com/p/no-flying-pumpkins-this-year/1249938
madmattd

Postby JoeWoe » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:48 am

Yea Matt, timing is everything. I put a deposit down on a new trailer to mount my treb on last week. It came in on Thursday and I picked it up Friday after getting the email in the morning that the 2014 WCPC was cancelled. I so wanted to see American Chucker and their new machine in action this year. I'm sure everyone has a story of their efforts in 2014. Poor Chucky has to wait another year. Hopefully things get aligned for 2015.
JoeWoe

Return to Hurling Events