Northwest Hurling Events

Discuss any hurling events here, such as the World Championships of Punkin' Chunkin' (WCPC). Have an event in your area you want us to know about? Post it here!

Northwest Hurling Events

Postby BobP » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Snohomish Pumpkin Hurl September 13-14 (Sat-Sun)
Saturday is competition, Sunday is 'fling what you bring".

Burlington Pumpkin Pitch is Saturday September 27. That's the competition day, setup is Friday 9/26.

Be there or be...uh...elsewhere. But it would be better to be there.
BobP

Re: Northwest Hurling Events

Postby BobP » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Burlington is done. My new onager turned out to be a lame-a-pult but wound up first in class anyhow, due to being the only entry in its class. KerrickM came out and helped Saturday. Thanks, Kerrick!
BobP

Postby TeamPendragon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:18 pm

RtB here. Another Snohomish Hurl come & gone. Sadly, we had vehicle trouble right before the event, and were forced to bring the little guy (Drill Sergeant) instead. Still had fun though!

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf3Md5R0c_c

Image Gallery:
http://hurlingforums.com/forum/gallery/album.php?album_id=11
TeamPendragon

Postby BobP » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks, Robert! If you watch the video, you'll see that the new onager had performance issues. We basically determined that the it had too much power for the frame as set up, but not enough to hurl a pumpkin any distance. Best was supposedly 60 feet, I'd have thought less.

I've spent the week making modifications, including a longer and lighter arm and frame mods to avoid bending the steel brackets during transit and bundle tightening. It'll go to Burlington, but JR will be the primary machine. A work in progress.

Burlington setup is this Friday, competition is Saturday.
BobP

Postby BobP » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Burlington is now in the books. Six entries, which was great, and a very good crowd. The weather wasn't great, but was ok and better than 30 miles south where I come from. Entries were: Gourdinator (large FAT), Squash-O-Fire (large FAKA), Mean Old Clown Chunker (good sized conventional treb), UFO (not sure how to describe it), U-Name-It (my new Onager), and Ballistakraft (Robert the Bruce).

Winners: Who cares? A good time was had by all. I did get my customary second-in-class, mostly because UFO threw mostly backward. Crowd loved that. U-Name-It's performance was once again lame, with no improvement no matter how much we tightened bundle. I suspect I've been sabotaged by using nylon rope, instead of something better.

Pictures to follow, maybe. But here's a link to the local paper:
http://www.goskagit.com/news/local_news/pitching-a-winner-at-burlington-harvest-festival/article_bad9e8b7-fd7d-5378-a425-c2ce3aef63e4.html
BobP

Postby p-lod » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:19 pm

Burlington was super fun this year. They were pretty sure it was a record crowd. My new machine, UFO 4.0, sucked though. Our main problem was that we got started on the new machine so late we had virtually no time to practice. We hadn't had a single successful throw before the Pitch and we got there so late on set-up day that we didn't get a test shot fired. Our machine had a bunch of little problems that are super easy to fix, but we didn't have time/parts on site the day of the Pitch to fix them. As a result we had two options:

1. Use only 100 lbs of CW and throw about 60 feet
2. Add CW, have the pumpkin come out too early, and roll the pumpkin backwards

We ended up sort of going back and forth between the two. It was just sort of frustrating because I could've ran to my dad's house for an hour and been able to make some quick fixes that would've let us use 200 lbs and throw a lot further. We had fun either way and we already know how to fix all the problems. We also got the People's Choice Award again which is always my main goal for the day anyway.

As for the new machine, I call it a DPT (Disc-Powered Trebuchet), but that's mostly because I wanted to see if I could get the newspaper to print the phrase "DP Trebuchet". Basically the weight drops straight down. A cable is attached from the weight, running through a pulley, and then wrapping around a disc. The disc turns as the weight drops and the arm is attached to the disc. It kind of gives all the benefits of a whipper (in theory), but with a straight weight drop. With 100 pounds it was pretty weak, but when we upped the CW to 200 pounds the arm really flies around. I've actually compared videos and the new machine with 200 lbs has a faster moving arm than the old UFO whipper did with 400 pounds. That machine threw almost 500' at its best, so there's no reason this new one can't throw 500' with only 200 lbs of CW. If we up the CW to 400 or 500 lbs . . . who knows? Like I said, we already know how to fix all the problems so expect us to have the kinks worked out next year and throw much, much further.

Video of our first forward throw - http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=101 ... 5507912623
p-lod

Postby p-lod » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:24 pm

And for the record, the guy loading the pumpkin into UFO in the Skagit Valley Herald article that Bob posted is Steve Erickson. I have no idea how Dave MacClallam is.
p-lod

Return to Hurling Events