Deja Vu All Over Again - WCPC 2015 Cancelled.

Discuss any hurling events here, such as the World Championships of Punkin' Chunkin' (WCPC). Have an event in your area you want us to know about? Post it here!

Re: Deja Vu All Over Again - WCPC 2015 Cancelled.

Postby madmattd » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:55 pm

Well, I don't know why Colossal Thunder uses it, but I know why Pumpkin Hammer and of course why NASAW has that. It is for a top-secret, totally secret reason.

Yea, OK, not secret at all. We wrap a bunch of bungees around the hanger arm, and the 45 degree leg bounces off of them. VERY helpful during a misfire! Instead of the arm carrying through and smashing into the hanger repeatedly (see the 2006 video of Pumpkin Hammer as a HCW-turned-whipper), it gets deadened on the bungees. And we stole the idea from Pumpkin Hammer ;)

There are several smaller-scale "copies" of NASAW out there, most of which have copied the obtuse-angle trussed arm. Few, if any need it, but I think most of the copies are copied without understanding what they are copying. I didn't bother with one on the 4-footer I built, and it doesn't need it.

If we hadn't determined the shock absorbers would be helpful/needed, we likely would have had a triangle design with a kingpost at the main axle, and 2 of the angles of the triangle at the CW axle and release pin locations. The 3rd angle of course would be on top of the kingpost in such a setup.
madmattd

Postby Not in My Driveway » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:02 am

I have some videos of Colossal Thunder from the 2015 Aurora Punkin Chunkin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFx11UzAyn0
Not in My Driveway

Postby KerikM » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks!! Another knowledge-gap closed. I'm already looking forward to next fall...
KerikM

Postby Thomas » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:37 pm

The first short-arm extension I remember is the one on Tom Burns's Arbiter, which was there to provide leverage for cocking. Colossal Thunder uses a different system for raising the CWs and the weight itself is split and wouldn't hit the arm on a misfire, so they must have some other reason for the extension.
Thomas

Previous

Return to Hurling Events