RIPCORD; a legend has Passed.

Discuss anything non-hurling-related here.

RIPCORD; a legend has Passed.

Postby Walker » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:04 am

"I regret to inform all of you that Raymond R Goodsell AKA Ripcord AKA Rip_Rap Passed away April 24th 2014."

So reads the e-mail I received from his widow.
My dear friend is gone and I am broken.

More later when I am able,

Tom
Walker
Walker

Re: RIPCORD; a legend has Passed.

Postby madmattd » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:14 am

The virtual flag of HurlingForums.com shall now fly at half staff in memory of the loss of Ripcord.

Walker said it well: the hurling community has lost a Legend.

Many of us here knew Raymond, if not personally then at least through the Catmess, TheHurl.org, and (briefly) here. He was a huge help to many, and always ready to chat about hurling, no matter what the mechanism involved.

His contributions to the hurling community are numerous and far too many to list, but perhaps his biggest contribution was the development of the "Whipper" Trebuchet, to this day still one of the most efficient designs out there. For many years he also ran the website he created (down for several years now), ripcord.ws, which was a massive repository of information for newbie hurlers. Many of us, myself included, owe our start into hurling to Raymond.

Raymond, aka Ripcord, aka Rip_Rap, you will be sorely missed.

- Matt
madmattd

Postby CaptBob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:04 pm

That is a shame. Rip will be greatly missed. He was always so helpful, thoughtful, and funny. He often provoked creative thinking and new ideas. He also made me a coif that I have been wearing for years at the WCPC chunk - and I will continue to do and always remember him.

Truly a legend in his time!

Bob
Capt Bob
Team Carbo & The ONAGER
www.onager.net
CaptBob

Postby TommyL » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:24 pm

If my wife only knew how much money I have spent to throw fruit in a field...
TommyL

Postby madmattd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks for finding that Tommy. I've quoted the text here should that link cease to work in the future.

http://regionalnewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2014/04/obituary-raymond-r-goodsell-61-scio.html wrote:Obituary: Raymond R. Goodsell, 61, Scio

SCIO - Raymond R. Goodsell, 61, of 3999 Eymer Road, passed away unexpectedly Thursday (April 24, 2014) at home. Born Dec. 17, 1952, in Denver, he was the son of Robert and Barbara Wallace Goodsell. On June 12, 1982, he married the former Cheryle Sadler of Friendship. Ray grew up in Newfield, where he graduated from Newfield Central School with high honors in 1973. He was a machinist for Ithaca Precision Tools for three years. He served in the U.S. Army from 1976 to 1980, and again from 1982 to 1983. He attained the rank of sergeant. He worked as a machinist for Almanco Machine Shop in Danby and moved to Scio, where he was employed as a diesel mechanic for Browning Transportation of Olean for three years. He then was employed by Patton's Busy Bee, Alfred, as a diesel Mechanic for three years.He attended Alfred Tech and received a degree in mechanical engineering and product design. He then went to work at a machine shop in Dansville. He became fascinated with medieval weaponry and designed and built trebuchets. He also made chainmail. He had an internet site for the design and specs for trebuchets. He went to work for RLT in San Antonio, making trebuchets and other wood products for five years, before moving back to Scio. Surviving, in addition to his wife, are his father, Robert; a son, Adam; a daughter, Kelly E. (Jason Goodsell); two grandsons, Davis and Ryan Goodsell; a sister, Caitilin (Michael) O'Meehan of Newfield; and nephew and niece, Bolton and Joellen O'Meehan.
Friends may call from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday (April 30, 2014) at the Treusdell Funeral Home, Friendship, with services following. The Rev. Kirk Kirch, pastor of the United Church of Friendship, will officiate. Memorials may be made to CHIVE.com, or the charity of your choice . Condolences may be expressed at http://www.treusdellfuneralhome.com.
madmattd

Postby Floivanus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:09 am

Man just tried to find the hurl a few days ago been bored and having had a treb or onager in years, shocked to see this news on a new forum that replaces the one ron ran for years (also long gone) this whole scene gas changed I was active 8 or so years ago and everyday a new build seemed to be going on, usually with insight and ideas from Rip, along with all his cad drawings.

When I was in high school I would visit his sight stare at his drawings and daydream. Pictures of Rips train wheel counterweighted machine and kip foss's giant treb still float around in my head, so sad to see how things have changed.
Floivanus

Postby BobP » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:36 pm

Just found this. Man, that hurts. Much too young.
BobP

Return to Other Topics