Is Hurling dead?

Discuss anything hurling-related here. Ask for help, discuss design concepts, show off your work, it all goes here!

Re: Is Hurling dead?

Postby p-lod » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:39 am

I don't know about Hurlers being too civilized. My teammate Big Steve is always complaining about the rest of the teams in Burlington, he just does it quietly so they can't hear him and then acts super friendly to their faces. I for one would be more than willing to drum up some controversy in the name of good TV. You stick a TV camera in front of my face and I'm going to talk some major trash.
p-lod

Postby madmattd » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:44 pm

BobP wrote:I for one hadn't registered for this board because I didn't know about it today -- found out from RobertTheBruce. We need to spread the word!

How about if I put up a sign with the URL on it at Snohomish and Burlington?

Hey Bob, glad you finally made your way here! I didn't have any contact info for most of the old regulars, so getting word out has been tough. By all means, let anyone you know who might be interested know we are here, put a sign up, whatever you want to do is great. I plan to do something similar at the WCPC. There are still some other plans in the works for this site. I just need to find some time :D
madmattd

Postby pneum0 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Pneum0 aka Mark Worden of Marysville Wa. Checking in.

As a few may guess I have built a few "leaf blowers" in my past, but in college we launched a pony keg of water nearly 2 football fields using 20 yards of gravel in a 1/2 length sea-van as a counter weight.

I am facebook friends with Leonard Vance thevdeveloper of the Murlin Trebuchet design. He modeled me up a pumpkin sized version. Just saving my $ and cents till I can afford to build.

I am also casual friends with the Carltons of Carlton farms which provides most of the pumpkins to the Snohomish Hurl. I hope that if/when I build they will let me test at the farm, as I am just down the road.

Cross an Aerospace Structures Stress Engineer with a pile of scrap metal/wood and fiberous materials, usually results in physics toys.
pneum0

Postby Robert » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:36 am

I would of like very much to have met Ripcord.
Robert

Postby Floivanus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:55 am

Yeah, me too. Ripcord was one of the main reasons i kept going to the old catmess, he constantly had a new or different idea and some nicely done animations or drawings of what he came up with, great help and advice given out as well.

He even seemed to be everywhere as well, had an online presence on many different forums as well.
Floivanus

Postby EdwinJeff » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:21 am

Floivanues wrote:Yeah, me too. Ripcord was one of the main reasons i kept going to the old catmess, he constantly had a new or different idea and some nicely done animations or drawings of what he came up with, great help and advice given out as well.

He even seemed to be everywhere as well, had an online presence on many different forums as well.

No, it's just a niche hobby.
Last edited by EdwinJeff on Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
EdwinJeff

Postby madmattd » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Floivanus wrote:Yeah, me too. Ripcord was one of the main reasons i kept going to the old catmess, he constantly had a new or different idea and some nicely done animations or drawings of what he came up with, great help and advice given out as well.

One of my great regrets is finding out only a few months before his passing that Ripcord lived only about 1 hour from where NASAW was built and lives. We talked about him coming out to watch, but scheduling didn't work that fall, and then a few months later he was no longer with us. Considering that Ripcord is credited with originating the whipper design, it would have meant even more for him to be able to see in person what his ideas led to.

EdwinJeff wrote:No, it's just a niche hobby.

Edwin:

First, welcome! Let's hear about any machines you might have built or thought about building. It's always good to hear from new folks!

Secondly, yes it is a bit of a niche hobby, but there are a lot of school-type competitions and for a number of years the big event in Delaware had been broadcast on TV (sadly that might be done for at least a few years). Facebook has largely killed off forums, especially such as these, in favor of a quick response, less detailed format. I'm not sure that is for the best, but it is what it is. And the biggest, most widely-known event being cancelled for 2 years in a row didn't help things. That said, there are lots of events across the country (and perhaps even across the world, though the European Event seems to be finished), and they are only growing in size. The Colorado event had around 30,000 people last year!
madmattd

Postby Melvang » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:19 pm

I hope it isn't dead, I am planning on combining the scissor linkage found in First in Fright with a FAW/NASAW for hurling golf balls and possibly scale up from there.
Melvang

Previous

Return to Catapult Message Board