HurlingForums.com Image Galleries

Questions about the site? Having trouble? Post here.

HurlingForums.com Image Galleries

Postby The Admin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:27 pm

As promised, there is now an Image Gallery on these forums!

Check it out here: http://hurlingforums.com/forum/gallery/index.php or click on the cleverly-named link on the navigation bar.

Each user can make as many personal sub-galleries as they wish. This is done under the user control panel:
Personal Galleries.PNG
Personal Galleries.PNG (55.6 KiB) Viewed 17778 times

Images can be added by viewing your gallery from the gallery link:
Personal Galleries - add image.PNG
Personal Galleries - add image.PNG (63.78 KiB) Viewed 17778 times

You can also add images from the User Control Panel if you wish:
Personal Galleries-upload images.PNG
Personal Galleries-upload images.PNG (54.06 KiB) Viewed 17778 times

You can create as many sub-albums as you wish:
Personal Galleries-subalbums.PNG
Personal Galleries-subalbums.PNG (54.37 KiB) Viewed 17778 times

If we want communal galleries, such as a gallery for everyone to contribute pictures from a certain chunkin' event, or a gallery of machine types, just ask and one can be created. I don't think I can directly let them be created by anyone unfortunately, but it is easy for me to make them.

You can link an image from one of the galleries (even if it wasn't yours originally) without adding it as an attachment to your post. See the below image, copy the text in the indicated box and paste into your post, and the image will appear!
Show gallery image in post.PNG
Show gallery image in post.PNG (14.86 KiB) Viewed 17769 times

Use, enjoy, and please let me know if there are any issues!
The Admin
Site Admin

Re: HurlingForums.com Image Galleries

Postby Ripcord » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:44 am

Wonderful addition, we all know the value of pictures on a forum of this type!
I was able to load up a "Guillotine" picture but the image description is not seen, at least by me. (I even turned off NoScript.)
I added text after selecting an image, Submitted, then was presented with yet another text entry window. I filled that one as well but still no text displayed with the picture itself.
Alongside the first image addition area was a note concerning the number of characters allowed, but it came across as "%d", instead of 2,000.

I just added an animation of the Guillotine but I can see I'm going to have to play with this new feature before I understand how to use it properly.
Better than nothing though!
Ripcord

Postby madmattd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:39 am

Ripcord wrote:I was able to load up a "Guillotine" picture but the image description is not seen, at least by me. (I even turned off NoScript.)
I added text after selecting an image, Submitted, then was presented with yet another text entry window. I filled that one as well but still no text displayed with the picture itself.
Alongside the first image addition area was a note concerning the number of characters allowed, but it came across as "%d", instead of 2,000.

I just added an animation of the Guillotine but I can see I'm going to have to play with this new feature before I understand how to use it properly.
Better than nothing though!

Thanks for playing guinea pig Ripcord, it looks like it is mostly working for you at least.

I see you have 2 images, one static image in your personal album and one animation in a sub-album "Guillotine". I don't see any descriptions either, I had that working on a couple test installations so I'll have to dig in a little and see what I goofed up this go-around. I saw the %d (2000 is indeed the correct number of characters), and never got that fixed up, but I'll dig some more.

The animation looks cool btw.
madmattd

Postby madmattd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:23 pm

The bug reported above by Ripcord is now fixed. My apologies for the goof last night, I had this all running then went and forgot to write down one of the steps...

When you click on the "add image" button (screenshot 2 in the post above, only it is a button, not plain link text, that was another goof on my part last night), it takes you to a page where you can select one or more pictures to upload. After you click "continue", you are presented with a new page with a preview of each image and a field to add a description for each (totally optional of course). You can also rotate any of the images if necessary on this page. Adding descriptions here will then cause them to show up under the images as expected. Ripcord, the box you were seeing last night on the upload page was not supposed to be showing at all there, hence the "%d" text callout.

I've also turned on an option that will show a small preview of the previous/next image in a given album when viewing a picture in that album. Feel free to check it out in my gallery where I've uploaded a few concept sketches from the past: http://hurlingforums.com/forum/gallery/album.php?album_id=9.

A note I forgot last night night was about how you can link an image from one of your galleries directly into a post in the forum without having to re-upload it as an attachment. See the original post in this thread for details. Feel free to make use of it to save on server disk space ;)
madmattd

Postby Ripcord » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:03 am

Much better! Buy more kibble though, this guinea pig ain't done yet.

I'm looking for a way to edit/add/remove text from a current picture. Other than adding a comment, I don't yet see a way to do this as the owner. For example, I could delete the main Guillotine picture, then add it again with commentary, but I'd rather edit the comments into it, if possible.

Will removing a 'parent', either a picture or album, effect the sub-folders/pictures?

Can you explain the radio button options under User Control Panel / Gallery / Personal Settings?

Is opting for "View Exif-Data by default" assign that to all the owners pictures or does it allow the owner to view that data of all pictures, regardless of owner?
Ripcord

Postby madmattd » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:12 am

Ripcord wrote:I'm looking for a way to edit/add/remove text from a current picture. Other than adding a comment, I don't yet see a way to do this as the owner. For example, I could delete the main Guillotine picture, then add it again with commentary, but I'd rather edit the comments into it, if possible.

Do you mean editing the description? This can be done at any time by the owner, view the image in the gallery, and click on the "Edit" button in the details section near the bottom (above the comments section).

Ripcord wrote:Will removing a 'parent', either a picture or album, effect the sub-folders/pictures?

If you delete a parent album, it will delete the pictures within that album (and any sub-albums of that parent album). You will get a warning to this effect when you go to do it within your User Control Panel: "Delete Album, with all attached subalbums and images?". Removing a sole picture should have no bearing on other pictures.

Ripcord wrote:Can you explain the radio button options under User Control Panel / Gallery / Personal Settings?

Subscribe own images by default: Enabling this option will mean you get a notification email if someone (other than yourself) comments on an image you uploaded.

Subscribe commented images by default: This setting works similarly to the forum option "Notify me upon replies by default" in that you will receive an email if someone comments on an image you commented on (if the setting is enabled).

Subscribe favorite images by default: Same as above, but applies to any image you assign as one of your "favorites", and should override the settings above (i.e., even if you don't subscribe to comments normally, it will for favorited images).

Ripcord wrote:Is opting for "View Exif-Data by default" assign that to all the owners pictures or does it allow the owner to view that data of all pictures, regardless of owner?

That setting should enable viewing of exif-data of all pictures, regardless of owner. I'll upload some exif-tagged photos tonight to the WCPC2013 Gallery and you can tell me if it works properly.
madmattd

Return to Administrative/Site Issues