I'm back!!

Discuss anything non-hurling-related here.

Re: I'm back!!

Postby madmattd » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Dave, check the WCPC's website for the current records at the big event held in Delaware. 2013 saw most of the old records fall, and for the most part I believe these are the longest recorded shots in competition for most of the different machine types at this point. https://punkinchunkin.com/results/current-records.html, but they will not show any distances achieved by machines outside of the Delaware event ("World Championship" being a fairly loose term). Until 2013, a trebuchet in Belgium known as Excalibur held the treb world record at a few feet over 2500'. The catapult world record shown on the page I linked (by Fibonacci, which was a hydraulically-driven catapult) has never even been approached at the Delaware chunk since it was made, roughly 2500' is where the cats (spring/bungee type) have been shooting for a few years now. Torsion has multiple 3000-foot machines (Onager, Chucky III, Roman Revenge). A few years ago, the air cannon Big 10 Inch went out to Moab, Utah (over 1 mile above sea level) and broke 1 mile for a Guiness World Record event thingy.
madmattd

Postby KerikM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:38 pm

A FAT did a mile?? Where? When? Whose? Details please!
I know Yankee Screech 2 got something like 2800 or so at the national event in '13... it sounds like the Guinness people might be describing some form of glorified slingshot, I am not sure. Anyway I am starting to get psyched up for Snohomish and Burlington.
KerikM

Postby madmattd » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:42 pm

KerikM wrote:A FAT did a mile?? Where? When? Whose? Details please!

I totally missed that statement Dave relayed. I certainly haven't heard about this. An Air Cannon hit that distance a couple years ago, no mechanical I have heard of has even hit 4K yet (officially at least, Chucky III may have in practice for all we know).
madmattd

Postby Nick481 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:34 pm

madmattd wrote:
KerikM wrote:A FAT did a mile?? Where? When? Whose? Details please!

I totally missed that statement Dave relayed. I certainly haven't heard about this. An Air Cannon hit that distance a couple years ago, no mechanical I have heard of has even hit 4K yet (officially at least, Chucky III may have in practice for all we know).

I remember either in a video or post that they were hitting over 500 mph at the 2013 chunk. Based on a graph that Leonard Vance has in a video, that should get over 4000 feet with no wind. You gotta wonder what the reault would be if they didn't pie on friday with that big tailwind and over 500 mph. They have superior ballistics to air cannons too, that's for sure.
Nick481

Previous

Return to Other Topics